Monday, May 24, 2010

Windsurf Board Repair

Repairing a Sandwich board with a Plywood Sandwich:

Although I'm not a professional at board repair, I did come up with a pretty solid repair to the deck of my board recently. In this case the board developed a soft spot from my toes at the front straps from freestyle sailing.

Upon investigation I found that the foam had compressed enough to pull away from the fiberglass. I cut back the fiberglass sandwich until I got back to the region with good bond and no delamination. From here I feathered back the sandwich to have a good bonding area. I also cut out a matching piece of 1/8in plywood to take the place of the old deck. It's amazing how easy it is to cut the 1/8in plywood with heavy duty sciccors.

From here I used a spray foam to bring the surface up flush with the rest of the deck. After setting, I sanded the foam down to be inset just the thickness of the new 1/8in plywood plug.

After sanding the new foam back I then layed the first layer of fiberglass into the repair and allowed it to come up the sides of the repair and onto the existing deck of the board.





I then placed the plywood into the repair and weighted it to take the rounded shape of the deck.


After this was set, the final step was to glass over the plywood and the entire repair to finish off the sandwich patch.

No comments:

Post a Comment